Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Eggnog Pie: The Recipe

For those of you wanting to know how to make the Eggnog Pie mentioned in the post below, my girlfriend has been kind enough to dictate the recipe to me for the purposes of sharing. She also wants me to tell you that it's easy; so easy that even a fool could make it (see picture). And speaking of the picture, notice my new, non-homeless person look. Handsome, in a chubby, Fyvush Finkel sort of way, no?

Anyway, on the to the recipe:

EGGNOG PIE

Again, trust me when I say that you will not be disappointed by this. It's better than a kiss under the mistletoe from that hot cousin that you know you shouldn't be attracted to, but secretly... um... hey, look, it's the recipe!!!

INGREDIENTS:

1 quart good eggnog (my girlfriend recommends the Southern Comfort brand eggnog)
2 packets of powdered gelatin, unflavored
1/3 cup water
1 store-bought pie shell (or you can make your own, if you're feeling industrious)

DIRECTIONS:

Blind bake the pie shell at 400 degrees (otherwise known as baking the pie shell with nothing in it). Remove it from the oven and let it cool.

In a small saucepan, mix the 2 packets of unflavored gelatin with the 1/3 cup water and let "bloom" for 10 minutes.

Next, pour in a cup of the eggnog and heat it to a boil, stirring "hardcore." Once it's boiling, take it off the heat and add the remainder of the eggnog (minus a few sips, because you cannot resist the call of the eggnog) into a large mixing bowl, again, stirring "hardcore."

Then, put the bowl in the fridge and allow to cool for about 25 minutes; until it's hard enough to poke, but sticks to your finger (that's what she said!).

After it's sufficently cooled, remove it from the fridge and whip it with a spoon, whisk, standing mixer, or what have you until it's frothy and creamy.

Finally, plop it into your now-cool pie shell and put it back in the fridge for about an hour.

Once it's set, sprinkle with cinnimon and/or nutmeg, spray on some Redi-Wip and eat that bad boy like it was about to vanish.

10 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Kaufman said...

You've gotta start including a hilarious photo of yourself in every post from now on. It totally enriches the story.

While eggnog pie DOES sound tasty, I'm sorta gunshy after getting food poisoning from a glass of possibly expired eggnog last year.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Heh... thanks. I don't know how much of my face the internet can take, but I'm sure that more photographs are on the horizon. If for no other reason than my girlfriend finds them endlessly hilarious and enjoys bullying me into posing.

For some reason, getting food poisoning from eggnog really strikes me as the heighth of misery. Anyway, I understand and respect your gunshyness... I'm the same way with fried clam strips; they were once quite mean to me.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME recipe Amigo, I'm trying this tonight, though I think I'm going to do a graham cracker crust with vanilla bean and nutmeg. I baked a crawfish quiche and a lorraine quiche this weekend for my moms (she requested them) and I've had enough of the pie crusts...

My question is this. When I made the quiche, I baked them in the over with parchment paper and rice, to weigh it down so that it didn't bubble up. I wonder why your GF baked it blind? But hell, whatever works.

Also, I wanted to try that Soco Eggnogg but was a little nervous that it might not be any good. But it sounds like its a winner so I'm all about it. Or, as the young southern kids used to say, I'm 'bout it 'bout it.

Benticore
Out
(if you're in any way a fan of spicy, crawfishy quiche, Definately try this recipe. Well worth it.)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_32196,00.html?rsrc=search

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet, thanks! :D

10:25 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Aeshema... I am TOTALLY a fan of spicy, crawfishy quiche. Since I cook about as well as a photograph (which is to say, not well at all), I'll see if I can sweet talk my girlfriend into whipping that bad boy up. Thanks for the recipe!!!

Giggleloop... Always happy to help!

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked you as a homeless person. Bring back the beard!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Oh, don't worry... I'm far to lazy to remain clean-cut for long. The Thanksgiving holidays demanded a less-homelessy look so as not to offend the girlfriend's parents but, as they say, you can't keep a good beard down.

Or somesuch.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's the look of a happy man.

Sadly, my wife's a vegetarian with vegan leanings (which as they said in Pulp Fiction, pretty much makes me a vegetarian by proxy), so gelatin and egg nog are in short supply at our house. Maybe when she goes out of town...hmmmm.

And Aeshema, thanks for the recipe! As soon as I read 'crawfish quiche', I thought, "Man I'd love to try that!"

Maybe we should all do a recipe swap. I have a great recipe for sundried tomato pasta!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

The only thing I can contribute to a recipe exchange are the 2 or 3 "date night" dishes that I forced myself to learn for the sole purpose of aiding my love life. Well, those, and a bunch of drink concoctions that all involve Everclear.

'Cause that's how I roll.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benticore - thanks for the suggestion of graham cracker crust, I think I'm going to do that as opposed to regular pie crust, just because the crust has always been my least favorite part of pie. *shrug* I'm a freak like that.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home