Friday, October 27, 2006

Mary Poppins is My Homegirl

Long time readers of Zombie Fights Shark! already know that I'm comfortable enough with who I am to admit freely that I dig musical theater. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a good tap number. Luckily, I live in New York City, the home of Broadway, Off-Broadway, Off-Off-Broadway, and numerous drag acts performed in bars so emetic that merely sitting down on an available surface is enough to give you, at minimum, crabs.

Anyway, I bring this up because last night Em and I went to see Disney's latest attempt at holding down our city's tourists and digging out their fillings while the Seven Dwarves steal their shoes: Mary Poppins. Oh, but I kid the global entertainment monolith. And besides, it's hard to rag on a compay, evil though they may be, when they put out such a fine slice of Broadway entertainment. Em and I were both a bit tired and cranky when we sat down, but once the show got rollin'... well... I'd challenge even the crankier amongst our ranks (and believe me when I say that I count myself among that number) to not break into a goofy grin usually associated with the recently lobotomized.

The thing that makes Disney shows in general, and Mary Poppins in particular, so awesome is the never-ending abundance of "stage magic." Huge, multi-story sets shift around in near-silence, people float about the stage like... things that float (what, it's early), even basic magic tricks are incorporated into the show in such away that, when Poppins pulls an entire bedroom set out of a single duffle bag, you're left going "OMIGODOMIGODOMIGOD" like a 13 year old who just discovered breasts. Or maybe it's just that I'm a big hick who's still impressed by the big city and all it's glorious splendor. Whatever, the show kicked ass.

Coolest thing: During the big chimney-sweep tap number, the character of Bert (Dick Van Dyke in the movie) starts tap dancing up the side wall of the stage, carrying on North, and ending with a full dance routine on the ceiling, upside down. I would have married that man right then, had he asked.

Point is, should you find yourself in the Manhattan area anytime soon, go see Mary Poppins. It's Poppins-tastic!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home