Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Weekly Awesome! #9

100th Post Notes

Looks like this is my 100th post, kids. Who knew. They grow up so damn fast these days. Honestly, I was a little suprised because it doesn't feel like I've been doing this for that long, though I guess the fact that I'm stuck at a desk 8 hours a day in front of a computer probably has something to do with it. Also, I'm so needy for attention that blogging, for me, is just a way to prevent my standing on the roof and screaming "Look at me, look at meeeee!!!!" while I fire flare guns in the air. Again.

Anyway, to celebrate, here's some video of me* throwing down some mad breakdancing moves:

http://www.hedonistica.com/media.php?path=/videos/breakdance_arm.wmv

*that's not actually me. But I could do that if I wanted to. I just don't want to.

Songs of our Week

1. “Lost in the Supermarket” by The Clash

The Clash is one of those bands that’s become so culturally omnipresent, people tend to forget how good they actually were. They usually forget this right around the time they hear “Should I Stay or Should I Go” for the gazillionth time in movie trailers for supposedly wacky comedies (I’m looking at you, You, Me and Dupree). The problem is that the singles they put out, your “Rock the Cashbahs” and “Train in Vains,” were all so catchy, they got played to death. Thus, they’ve slipped a bit in the general public’s esteem. Shame… if you get away from the singles, you’ll be richly rewarded with some tight, punchy songs that serve as a great “Oh yeah” as to why The Clash are famous in the first place. This song is one of their greatest unheralded numbers. P.S: Ben Folds just did a cover of this and, like everything he’s putting out these days, it sucks. Avoid it.

2. “Bigmouth Strikes Again” by The Smiths

Your opinion on The Smiths is going to be directly tied to your feelings about Morrissey; when it comes to artists that are either love’em-or-hate’em, he’s pretty much the Mayor of that town. He’s vocal stylings are, depending on which side of the line you’ve set up camp, deeply emotional or deeply whiny and there’s no getting around that. Anyway, if you’re into The Smiths, then you already know this song, but if you’re a bit on the fence, this is a great place to start. It manages to typify what they’re all about without being too mopey or grating.

3. “Thirsty and Miserable” by Black Flag

Actually, anything off of the Damaged album is worth a listen. This is the kind of music that makes you want to get a bunch of tattoos, call a cop a motherfucker to his face and drink a lot of cheap beer until you hurl behind a scuzzy bar in the Bowery. It’s also the kind of music that gets you funny looks from the suits when you play it at your cubicle on your lunch break. As I just found out.

4. “Necromancing” by Gnarls Barkley

I really wanted to hate these guys, not because I dislike their respective musical styles, but because they did some promo photos for their album dressed up like the two main guys from the movie Napoleon Dynamite, otherwise known as the biggest con ever to be foisted upon humanity. However, though I’ll never understand why anyone would want to willingly associate themselves with that piece of crap, I have to admit that the actual music they’ve put out is top fucking notch. “Gone Daddy Gone” and “Crazy” are the big hits from the current album (St. Elsewhere), but try this dark, creepy tune on for size too.

5. “Pure” by The Lightning Seeds

These guys got a little lost in the cacophony of grunge in the early 90’s, and that’s damn near a felony. They’re a sunny little pop outfit, like if Echo and the Bunnymen were given anti-depressants. They tend to sing about simple stuff like love and hopes and dreams and all that crap, but with melodies so catchy you’ll still be singing them in the afterlife, pissing off the angels or the demons, depending on how nice you are to old ladies or whatever the criteria is these days for eternal happiness/damnation. Anyway, this song, “Pure,” was their biggest hit, which isn’t saying much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home