Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Spain: A Country Of Poo Freaks



It's exactly what you think it is. Here, allow me to quote for you verbatim Yahoo's caption for the above photo:

Ceramic figurines called 'caganers' of US President-elect Barack Obama are seen at the Santa Llucia Fair, on December 2, in Barcelona. Statuettes of well-known people defecating are a strong Christmas tradition in Catalonia, dating back to the 18th century.

Fucking WHAT? Why??? Why would statues of well-known people taking a dump be ANY kind of tradition, much less one for the Christmas holidays? I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoy base, scatological humor as much as the next immature, drunk guy but... I don't know... bringing ceramics into it just seems a little out-of-bounds. Not that I'm necessarily opposed to people going the extra mile for their poop humor... anything for a laugh, I guess... still, though... WOW.

The thing I can't figure out is whether or not these statues are supposed to be a compliment towards the one being depicted. Kind of like how we "roast" our celebrities, but instead of telling off-color jokes at their expense, they're demonstrating via handicrafts what it would look like if said celebrity had to pop a squat in public. Oh, or how about this... maybe these are intended to remind everyone that celebrities, even though they're famous and leaders and so forth, are still humans, just like the rest us. That makes sense, I guess. Sort of, anyway. Not really the way I, personally, would go about it, but then again I don't have access to a kiln.

I dunno... anyway, I guess we all learned something new about Spain this morning: Get famous enough and they'll commission an artist to craft an image of you dropping brown just in time for the holidays.

Goddamn, this world is a weird place sometimes.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

Initially, I thought those were being sold as holiday stocking stuffers on the KKK website.

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, C-Dogg. You just solved my what-to-get-mom-for-Christmas problem.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Braden said...

Oh, so now you DON'T like these? Your Amazon wishlist begs to differ.

(Hope my G-D order hasn't shipped ... carnsarnit.)

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction. I can't figure out if this is a compliment or an insult. WTF?

10:50 AM  
Blogger Subway Gal said...

I think that lil statue looks more like Fred Armisen from SNL doing an impression of Barack Obama, rather than Barack himself.

2:45 PM  
Blogger C.R. III said...

There's actually this weird Catalan tradition having to do with this, uh, "poop log". Kids beat it with sticks until it "poops" presents. Seriously. I cannot make up stuff that is this weird. Look it up on the Internets. There's video on YouTube (of course) as well...

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home