Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Micro Story

NOTE: Something a little different, just for funsies.

DRINK THIS


How does it taste?

Bad... bitter, caustic and sharp, like if you could drink a smashed disposable razor.

That means it's working.

What is it going to do to me?

You'll see.

Tell me.

Fine. You're no fun, you know. It's going to... relax you. A lot. You're going to be very relaxed.

I don't know how I feel about that.

You'd better get used to the idea. What you just drank; that was a double dose.

Christ.

It's unlikely that he will help you.

God, what did you do to me?

I told you.

But... why... how long until it starts working?

We have a few minutes.

I thought you loved me.

I do love you. Why would you think I don't love you?

You've poisoned me. Seems like a pretty good reason to doubt your intentions.

If you think of it as poison, you're going to have a really bad time. It's not poison. It's just a drug. It's going to relax you completely so you can become one with yourself.

I don't understand what that means.

You will.

So you say.

I'm right. Give it a few minutes. You'll thank me for this. I promise.

Why do I get the feeling that as soon as I pass out, you're just going to strip me naked and do... stuff... to my unconscious body?

Do I seem like the kind of person that would molest an unconscious person?

Yes.

Thanks.

Why else would you give me this stuff? Why else would you trick me...

I don't believe I had to do much convincing...

You tricked me...

I said, here, drink this, and you drank it; it's not like a I poured it in a glass of Sunny Delight or something.

But you didn't tell me what it was! I trust you! TRUSTED you.

I would never hurt you. I would never hurt you, nor would I ever molest you while you sleep. Unless, you know, you WANTED me to.

I don't.

Just sayin'.

I think it's starting to work.

Are you getting sleepy?

Yes.

Do you feel like you're falling?

Ugh... yes... my stomach...

It will settle. Do you feel like your mind is breaking apart, like the unknowable is suddenly known and the blackened windows of the world are smashed inward by bricks of pure, white hot perception? Do you realize that the truth will in fact set you free?

I feel like I'm going to vomit.

Here's a trashcan.

Thank... you...

You're getting there, aren't you?

Getting... where...?

To the really good part.

Am... I...?

Oh yes, baby... oh yes...

God... oh my fucking god... oh no... no, no, no, no...

You have arrived.

It's all... so...

I know. I've been there too. That's how I know it works. Now, can you still hear me?

Yes. You're far away. But yes... come out of that canyon so I can hear you better...

You can hear me fine. Listen to what I'm saying. Are you listening?

I am listening to you, my one and only.

That's very sweet of you to say. Now, I want you to tell me where our mother hid the combination to the safe in the hallway. I need to know the magic numbers because I need to get inside.

I don't understand...

I need you to tell me where I can find what I'm looking for.

Oh... my... lovely love... you can ask me anything in the world... I will rip open my heart like a bag of potato chips and pour out into you my soul, my thoughts, my everything, my essence...

Just the location of the safe's combination will be fine.

Okay... okay, then... my soul is up for grabs, but I will give you numbers... she left it in the pocket of the fur coat she never wears... the one daddy gave her before she died... she never wears it because it makes her cry... the thoughts of him... THEY make her cry... she hides things there... in the coat, not in the thoughts... the coat...

That is all I've ever wanted to hear you say. I love you for the words you speak. I could kiss you, but I wouldn't want you to get the wrong idea about my intentions.

I love you so much, I love... you... so much...

Sleep, okay. Just sleep now. When you wake up, I'll be gone.

I'll... be... alone...

Not alone. Just without me.

That's alone.

You'll be brave, though. You've always been brave.

YOU have always been brave.

So be it. Regardless. I love you, but this is the end. See you on the other side.

The... other... side... of... what...?

We'll see. We'll just have to wait and see.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jason Quinones said...

very. fucking. cool.

whatever happened to parts 2 and 3 of that zombie story where the guy goes in the basement in search of alcohol????

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious and reminded me of Fight Club at the same time.

^I was wondering the same thing.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

I really enjoyed that a lot.

It sucked me into the story immediately and when the ending arrived I didn’t want it to stop. I love stories I can become engrossed in so completely.

I'm with Jason - Did you write anymore of that story "Liquor Run"?

10:35 AM  
Blogger Jason Quinones said...

LIQUOR RUN!

LIQUOR RUN!

LIQUOR RUN!

(the story. not an actual liquor run. although some liquor would be great right about now...)

11:14 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Glad you guys dug this little stylistic experiment. As for Liquor Run... yeah, I kinda forgot that I hadn't finished that. This is what happens when you write while drinking.

Give me a week and I'll have it's exciting conclusion.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Liöüx said...

This post made me thirsty.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

Fantastic! Fuck finding a job man, you need to keep writing!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

oooh...more of that, please!

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home