Friday, October 24, 2008

Friday Morning Hodgepodge

Today's post is brought to you in part by a federal grant from the US government (I told them I was doing atomic bomb research... in truth, I'm just "the bomb"), as well as our brand new sponsor...



What is Panda With Cookie? Why, it's the one-stop solution for all your Holiday gift giving needs. The store is run by my good friend and mega-talented artist Lisa, all the stuff therein is hand-made, and you should buy lots of it because she is awesome and I said so. Also, I'm hoping if I generate tons of traffic for her via ZFS!, she'll hook me up with a free bag of her homemade candy corn. So, c'mon, help a brother get his sweets on. Shop at Panda With Cookie TODAY!!!
---------------------------------------------
Further Adventures in Job Hunting: A couple of days ago, I had a job interview for a clerical position at a marketing firm so hip and sleek and cutting-edge, I'm fairly certain it was from the future. Walking in, I felt like a dump truck trying to navigate through a sea of sporty Miatas that all wore trendy eyeglasses and talked about bands like they were best friends with the lead guitar player. That was bad enough, but the WORST part? The guy I interviewed with, who would be my boss were I to land the job... totally younger than me. And not like I was born in August and he was born in October. No, like I was born at the end of Jimmy Carter's Presidency and he was born during Ronald Reagan's SECOND term. It was like a slap in the face with a dick made of sadness. I mean, okay, I'm 28 year old... I get it that I'm at a point in my life where people I come into contact with are going to be younger than I am. It's a fact of life, sunrise, sunset, every rose has it's thorn, etc. I fine with all of that, particularly the off-topic Poison reference. But still, dudes. BUT STILL.
That shit made me feel like something an archaeologist would dig up and go, "hmmmm" at all studious and whatever before labeling me and putting me in a museum next to the cavemen and the dinosaur bones. C-dogicus Maximus... once proud and brave and able to quaff many beers at parties with a "toga" or "luau" theme. Now, sadly, he is extinct, or at least he's in bed before eleven because he gets cranky and sore if he doesn't get a full eight hours of sleep. Lame-o.
---------------------------------------------
If I may make a few musical suggestions for your Autumnal listening pleasure...
Scandinavian folk you should be enjoying
Tobias Froberg - He's like if Ryan Adams and Simon & Garfunkel got all smushed together in Sweden, but were shot through with a sense of humor so no one could get sick of their mutant-y form.
Ane Brun- She's perhaps the loveliest singer/songwriter I've ever seen. Like, if a real no-shit angel fell from Make-Believe Land clutching a guitar and said, "well, since I'm here, might as well sing a few songs I wrote." That's her, in a nutshell. I saw her play the other night and she did a cover of Alphaville's "Big in Japan." Can you imagine?!?! That, from a girl that looks like a heavenly creature with an accent that makes adorable stuffed animals kill themselves from inferiority issues.
Theresa Andersson- I'd never heard of her before Wednesday, but now I'm thinking about starting a religion based on her voice and what she does with it. She's got that kind of talent that makes you feel very small. Even if you're not a musician; if you're a writer, say, or a guy who makes artisanal cheeses. You listen to her do her crazy loop-pedal music with violins and drums and guitar and four-part harmonies ALL BY HERSELF and you go... fuck... my stories/cheeses are just piles of wet dirt now. I'm not kidding... to watch her perform is to bow your head and know in your heart that you've been bested in this world by one more talented than you. But in a way that's so good it's retarded.
---------------------------------------------
It's turning cold here in New York. All of a sudden, it's hoodie weather. Very exciting! Also, chilly. But they've turned the heat on in my building, so I no longer feel like a Swanson's dinner awaiting the microwave, and it's a welcome relief from the sweaty-crack humidity of the summer. No, I'm still not over that (me and heat get along poorly). I'm sure when it's like mid-February and a degree outside I'll be humming an entirely different tune but... for now... bring on the coolness and the leaves falling and the thick blankets, mugs of spiked cocoa, the World Series and all that Fall crap. Happy days indeed!!!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

RE: the 'getting older' thing.

I'll be 33 in January. I realized today that one of my peers here at work is 23. Ten years difference?!? I'm feeling fucking old.

12:50 PM  
Blogger JustBecky said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For the music links.
Ane Brun and Theresa Anderson are amazing!
My ears are going to be doing a happy dance all day.

1:15 PM  
Blogger ML said...

Mr. Baseball...

why do they call it the World Series? clearly, it's strictly played in the United States.

wtf.

:)

2:47 PM  
Blogger Bill From Gainesville said...

- Dog -- there are times in life when you just go WTF.. like when you are in college looking at a playboy and the first time the playboy model is younger then you are is a blow. Also the first time the college Coach at your school that gets hired is younger then you that is hard also. Getting old is TOUGH ass shit, having said that I refuse to do it and still can hang with the whipper snappers....
-
Signed an old guy

3:42 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

JJ... That is rough, dude. This whole thing with the job interview really threw me for a loop and it's not even someone I'm (more than likely) going to have to deal with on a regular basis. I feel your pain.

JustBecky... Glad you like! And, agreed, they are amazing. I'd never even heard of them until this week; a friend invited me to show where all three of the aforementioned Scandinavians were playing. It's so awesome to go into a show with no expectation and to have your ass kicked, metaphorically speaking.

ML... USA! USA! USA!!!!

Bill... Don't get me wrong, I know that 28 isn't exactly Old Man McGillicutty or anything. Still, though. Weak sauce.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Subway Gal said...

"It was like a slap in the face with a dick made of sadness." That is my new favorite phrase and I'm going to try and use it now whenever possible. Yes, even at the office. If I can still remember it by the end of the day . . . .

4:34 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

I am happy to contribute to your lexicon. However, upon each usage, you WILL owe me royalties.

My royalties are chili dogs. Delicious, delicious chili dogs...

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home