Friday, August 29, 2008

Friday Morning Hodgepodge

As a blogger, the arena of politics has never really been my forte. I tend to not pay attention as closely as I should to the things that our government says or does, so, when I do make the occasional civic-minded comment, it usually comes out wrong, or, more accurately, misinformed. And for the record it's not that I'm NOT interested in politics... it's just that I'm usually MORE interested in, say, Iron Chef reruns or a new bottle of rotgut liquor that I bought on sale. Besides, as we've discussed on ZFS! numerous times, I really prefer it when everything is about me and politics, generally, isn't. Oh sure, you could make an argument that it's "about me" in the grand, sweeping sense that we are all one country and a nation united and blah, blah, blah, but... no, sorry... I need a little more specificity in my megalomaniacal ego-stroking. Anyway, all that being the case, I usually think it's best if I ignore politics altogether and just stick to the poop jokes and/or making quasi-humorous comments about pictures of people wearing silly hats.

As this is a bedrock principle of what makes the blog great(ish), I have no intention of changing it, so no worries. However, I did want to buck tradition just this once and say a little something about what happened last night at the Democratic National Convention in Denver, CO.

Barack Obama's speech? Wow. Look, I know I suck at putting matters political into their proper perspective, and I also know that being open and honest about ones feelings on the internet is a losing game that ends in heartache but... kiddos... I was motherfucking MOVED by that man's words. Like, for real... I got choked up in way usually reserved for that part where Rudy sacks the quarterback at the end. Just awesome, to put it mildly. But, as with all things, I'm really going to try to not get too excited. He hasn't won yet, after all, and even if he does... shit, what if he can't back it all up? I *think* he can, but then again I also though Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows was going to be a monster hit, so, you know...

But I guess we'll see. Even if it all turns out badly, at least for one night, I was inspired enough to pay attention. That's gotta count for something.

NOTE: How funny is it that Barack Obama's name gets flagged by Blogger's spell check function? They MIGHT want to change that. Just sayin'...

------------------------------------------------------------------

Long weekend coming up and ain't that just fine? Yes... yes it is. Except for the fact that I'm broke. Which means a LOT of time just hanging out in the apartment, watching movies and throwing things at the cat and eating whatever cans of "food" are lurking in the dark corners of our cabinets and aren't too badly dented. We'll probably go for a few walks, too, in an effort to fight off cabin fever like Beowulf battling Grendel, if Grendel were a slow-burning malaise that comes from watching cheap slasher flicks while drinking Georgi Blue vodka at 10am. A tad bit depressing, the whole situation is, but who's fault is that? Hi, right here. I mean I'm working on it, but still.

Eh, whatever. I'll muddle through. It'll be fine. Beats working, I guess. Oh, shit, speaking of... I guess I *could* be spending this time working on my play and/or any of the number of writing projects that I've started, worked on for a fortnight, then abandoned when my attention was snagged by the pressing matter of a King of the Hill mini-marathon on FX. Yeah, I could get some work done on that. I should do that...

But I *do* like not doing anything whatsoever...

Ah, the eternal struggle continues!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Not for nothing, but Michelle Obama... kinda MILF-y in a modern Clair Huxtable sort of way. Trumps the holy fuck out of Laura Bush, that's for sure. She looks like Jack Nicholson's version of the Joker, but scarier because movies aren't supposed to be all REAL like that. Also, I heard Laura Bush kills drifters and buries the bodies out in the desert under the cover of darkness. Might not be true, but that's what I heard.

------------------------------------------------------------------

New Mates of State video, for anyone interested. The song is good, Kori Gardner is a babe, the video's got lots of brightly colored balls to keep you interested... what more you want from a Friday morning? Greedy bastards.

"My Only Offer" by Mates of State

6 Comments:

Blogger Jason Quinones said...

mcacins wife is milfier i think but i wouldn't vote for that guy if his opponents were an actual four legged jackass and satan himself!!

georgi! i loved georgi! my local liquor shack used to sell BIG ASS PLASTIC JUGS of the stuff for 9.99 so yeah i drank it alot!

and i just realized i wrote "big ass plastic jugs" which is funny.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't we still be Internet friends if I tell you I couldn't stand Rudy?

10:43 AM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

Obama’s speech seemed all the more awesome when compared to the babblings of the Current Occupant. One would think that the ability to assemble a coherent sentence is a tool of the trade for politicians, but apparently that didn’t matter eight years ago.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Subway Gal said...

I totally feel the same way you do and don't pay as much attention to politics as I prob should and don't attempt to discuss it too thoroughly because I hate the conflict that happens (I know, I know, I'm usually big on confrontations, esp on the subway, but this one I can do without). In fact, just last night, my bro and my boyfriend got into a fight that started with politics. UGH.

Anyway, that being said, I think the whole DNC was great! All the speeches from each Clinton, to Biden to Obama were awesome and very inspiring! Let's hope he can back it up.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Jason... Georgi is awesome, no? I highly recommend the Georgi Blue... it's 100 proof and, for me at least, is kind of like dropping half a roofie in your Screwdriver. Also, heh heh... jugs.

Justin... (sigh) I guess. Though we can never be married.

The UB... You'd think, wouldn't you?

Subway... Yeah, ditto. I hate political fights because I'm always WAY under-informed and end up looking like an idiot.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Bill From Gainesville said...

Wow, when Rudy Sacks the QB in the end type of emotion.... thats serious man...

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home