Monday, August 13, 2007

Head Colds And Head Cheese

Still fighting off this blasted sinus infection, so I'm going to the doctor today for a heapin' helpin' of antibiotics. I'm also considering stealing his stethoscope, because I think it'll add an air of believability to the "medical practice" that I've been running out of kitchen. Oh speaking of... until August 20th, our "Two-fer Tuesdays" special is still in effect. Buy one organ removal, get the second absolutely free. Also, you will probably die. No refunds.

Anyway, while I'm out, let's get a lively discussion going on the subject of head cheese:



What is headcheese, you ask? Well I'll let Wikipedia, the internet's nerdy best friend, fill you in:

Head cheese (AmE) or brawn (BrE) is in fact not a cheese, but rather a terrine of meat from the head of a calf or pig (sometimes a sheep or cow) that would not otherwise be considered appealing. It may also include meat from the feet and heart. It is usually eaten cold or at room temperature as a luncheon meat. It is sometimes also known as soucemeat, particularly if pickled with vinegar. Historically the cleaned (all organs removed) head was simmered to produce a gelatin (which would form from the bone marrow) containing any incidental meat which came off the head. The more modern method involves adding gelatin to meat, which is then cooked in a mould.

You're thinking, "Okay, C-dog, the concept of head cheese is kind of awesomely gross, but why bring it up to us on a Monday morning. By the way, you're still amazingly gorgeous, even when you've got a head full of snot." First of all, thanks (wink). And to answer your other question, over the weekend, Girlfriend and I had a house guest: Girlfriend's cousin, "Annie" who's ten and a child prodigy on the piano. The fact that she's a child prodigy isn't technically relevant, but I like bringing it up because, no joke, the kid can just wail on the piano. She makes Amadeus look like a large bucket of... well... head cheese, I guess, which brings me back to my original point. So we've got Annie staying with us and it's up to us to show her a good time. We decided to attempt a little horizons-broadening, so we took her to dinner at this kick-ass German restaurant in our neighborhood called The Schnitzel Haus. After a quick perusal of the menu, and after being assured that I wasn't paying for the meal, I decided that the time was right to be bold and adventurous on someone else's dime. So I ordered the Haus' head cheese. It came with a side of home fries and a little gravy boat filled not with gravy, but with this tarter sauce-esque stuff that was just absolutely delicious. Next to the home fries sat the head cheese, two thick slices worth, draped liberally with ice-cold red onions. The idea was to take a spoonful of the tarter sauce stuff and smear it on top of the onions and head cheese, then... bon appetite. And that's exactly what I did.

It wasn't bad. As far as taste goes, it was very similar to a ham salad sandwich, minus the bread. Very, for lack of a better word, "porky." The real issue, and I think the main reason why it's not served at, say, Subway, is the texture. It's wiggly. It's cold. It's basically meat Jell-O and there's no getting around that very particular mouth feel. It is, in other words, mildly disturbing. But I persevered. I ate almost all of my two slices, having to give up towards the end because, and believe me when I say this, a little head cheese goes a looooong way. I do, however, applaud myself for being brave and for trying new things, especially since I was able to do so without any personal financial loss. That always makes food taste better. And for the record, Annie and Girlfriend both were absolutely appalled at my head cheese eating ways, though Girlfriend was brave enough to at least try a small bite. She was, to say the least, not impressed.

At any rate, with all of that having been said, here's the discussion questions: Head cheese; are you brave enough? Would you order it, provided you didn't have to foot the bill? Does the concept of bits of pig head suspended in a gelatin of it's own fat make you want to hurl so hard you might set a world record for hardest hurling ever?

M'kay, off to the doctor for medicines and whatnot. Be back later, kids.

16 Comments:

Blogger Alienwhere said...

I already hurled, before I was even done reading. I blew out a blood vessel in my eye. Now I look like I was in a fight. Thank you, head cheese...

10:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That reminds me of the scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom where the desert was chilled monkey brains.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

EW. No wonder you're sick today. And now I am too.

11:10 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

Ummm.

Ewww.

11:24 AM  
Blogger d said...

i kinda couldn't read this whole post because i couldn't stomach the idea of anyone willingly eating head cheese.

and i definitely couldn't stomach reading the description of it.

what's wrong with a grilled ham and cheese sandwich?

11:40 AM  
Blogger stew said...

I would rather eat balls.

No I wouldn't, actually. In fact, I may never eat again. Thanks a whole hell of a lot, C-Dawg. You want my fries?

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a person that has willingly ingested, and enjoyed, rocky mountain oysters/calf fries, aka fried cow balls... head cheese is one of the more disgusting foods I could ever imagine. No thank you!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Alienwhere... Head cheese says "It's all part of my job, dude."

Midwesterner... I had monkey brains for dessert. They taste like sorrow.

Brooklyn... Happy to help!

Lioux... That was my intial reaction as well. But I got over it.

D... Nothing at all is wrong with a grilled ham n' cheese. I just like to try new, gross things. It's kind of like daring myself.

Stew... Oooh, yes, I want fries!!!

Scott... I, too, have tried rocky mountain oysters. They're weren't bad, but still... hard to get over the fact that you're eating balls.

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could I humbly suggest that we should have some kind of warning on this post? Something akin to the Poo Warning System... maybe an Entrails Warning? Or Innards Warning? Gross Meat Jello Warning? *chokes*

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure that is not Spam that through the miracle of evolution has stated to reform into a recognizable life form that it once was?

2:08 PM  
Blogger Irish and Jew said...

no WAY would i eat that... gross!

Great new pic by the way :)

-J

2:14 PM  
Blogger lioux said...

With all being grossed out and stuff earlier, I forgot to say "feel better."

I hate being sick over the summer.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

You'd have to pay me a large sum to eat it.

Blegh.

I think I am going to go hurl Dorito chunks now.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Giggleloop... Nope, you're just going to have to be a brave little toaster on the organ-meat reference front. Sorry, but I'm much too lazy.

David... Oh God, the Spam is THINKING!!!

Jew... Thanks, yo. It's from my trip to Chicago back in March (I just now got the pics developed). My over-exuberance at being on a Ferris Wheel cracked me up, so I thought I'd share it with the world.

Lioux... Thanks, dude. Yeah, it's been pretty lame, though I think I'm on the tail-end of it now.

Big Daddy... Name your price, BD. Not that I'll pay it or anything, but I'm curious.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

50 large.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up eating this and blood tongue, they were staples in my diet as a child. My dad and I love it, my mom and sister think we're disgusting...hey it's all a matter of taste..and I think it tastes good! try eating it as a sandwich...some horseradish mustard and swiss cheese on it...it's the best!

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home