Saturday, March 10, 2007

Worth Your Valuable Time



Most romantic comedies suck ass. They're usually too-cute, they often involve mistaken identities and you're more than likely going to see Meg Ryan jump around in her pajamas to a Motown-era oldie, even if she's not in the movie. But more than anything else, they're not real. Nobody behaves in rom-coms like normal people behave in real life; in fact, as a general rule, they behave like complete idiots.
Which is why it's refreshing to see a romantic comedy come along that gives that rule a healthy kick in the balls. Trust the Man is about two couples who are both having relationship troubles and how they try, fail, try again, and continue to keep trying to fix their messy lives. It's very funny, it's got a stellar cast (including Mulder!!!) and, above all, it's real. Or at least more real than anything that happened in Failure to Launch, which, no, I didn't technically see. However, my theory on that is that I don't need to actually see a car accident involving a drunk truck driver and a school bus full of handicapped kids to know the extent of the carnage.*
So, yes, Trust the Man: Worth your valuable time.
*In this analogy, Drunk Truck Driver = Matthew McConaughey and School Bus Full of Handicapped Kids = Sara Jessica Parker, both for obvious reasons.

9 Comments:

Blogger ellagood said...

it's just ironic/sad/pathetic that billy crudup has first billing (albeit via ABC order) in a film titled "Trust the Man"

12:14 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Really? Why? What did he do? Do we not like him? He's one of those actors to which I've never paid much mind. Hm, and here I thought I was up on all the celebrity gossip.

8:51 AM  
Blogger FrancesDanger said...

Billy dumped Mary Louise Parker while she was pregnant with his child to take up with his co-star Claire Danes. He's like K-Fed, except with some discernable talent and, you know, teeth.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Ooooh... I see... Well, he's quite the son of a bitch then, isn't he?

2:47 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Wait...whaaaat? Is this posting sarcastic? You really liked this? Rest assured I'm registering my disapproval on the Internet immediately. Wait, I already have.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

What can I say, I thought it was funny. I will agree with you, though, that the ending was kind of (okay, entirely) a cop out.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Yeah I read another blog that gave the movie props for its portrayal of the very NYC "alternate side of the street parking" situation. And I did laugh a bit too. So maybe as rocos go, it's one of the better ones.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Also, it was nice to see Mulder in something again. For me, anyway. Because I am a big nerd.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

'The Family Stone' was a bummer. Rom Com my arse.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home