Friday, February 23, 2007

Long, Nerdy Weekend

I can't remember if I've mentioned this yet (and I'm certainly not going to check), but I'm covering the NY Comic Con this weekend for the magazine that I occasionally write for. I'd love to tell you that I was selected by my editor to take on this fairly Herculean task based on the brilliance of my past reporting, my technical acumen as a wordsmith and my unswerving dedication to getting the "hot scoops." However, it's more technically true to tell you that I'm covering the Con because I was the only reporter available.

Side Note: Is "Hot Scoops" a new disco-funk jam band, or a shockingly deviant sexual act? Discuss.

Anyway, so yeah... I'll be spending the next two days jammed in a convention center by the Hudson River with a few thousand of the tri-state area's most dedicated nerds. I'm kind of looking forward to it; nerds are definitely my people and there's usually an abundance of cool crap to look at these sorts of things. Also, and I admit this only to you guys, I totally dig getting to strut around the joint with my press pass prominently displayed like I'm the coolest thing since those lightsaber replicas that actually make the "swoom, swoom!" sounds. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, more satisfying than getting ushered into events past a two-hour-wait line up of people. Makes me feel like a badass.

(Oh, what? Don't look at me like that. It's not like this gig pays or anything. A self-satisfied feeling superiority is my only reward)

I am nervous as hell, though, about having to interview people tomorrow. Because it's, as previously stated, a large collection of nerds, movie studios are using the Con as a chance to roll out new footage and parade around some stars in an effort to bang the publicity drum. I've been asked to interview Wes Craven(!) and Eli Roth, the director of Hostel and Cabin Fever. I have almost no idea what I'm going to say to these people. Well, I'm going to ask Wes Craven to sign my ass because he's one of my heroes, but otherwise... well, this is what I've got thus far:

"So... horror movies, huh?"

"Isn't gore cool?"

"Hey, did you see that one movie where it was all chicks and they were in a cave and there were monsters in the cave and it was real scary?"

"You sure you won't sign my ass?"

"Is Freddy Krueger real? Because New Nightmare kind of implied that he was and I want to be prepared if he shows up."

And that's it. Anyone else got any ideas, because I'm tapped like a keg at this point.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No interview ideas spring to mind, but if you feel like getting me some cool free stuff, I'd be totally down with that. :D

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Why are you so creepy?"

and

"You know the hot, lead actress in Freddy vs. Jason with the big fake cans that was also on Entourage? How come she never gets naked?"

12:37 PM  
Blogger Beehive Hairdresser said...

The nerdy Japanese guy that I work with and eat lunch with regularly took yesterday, today and Monday off to prep and unwind for this thing - he has some sort of booth thingy.

So be sure to scream through the convention center NERDS! with your hands over your head.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

I forget, how did Cabin Fever end?

2:37 PM  
Blogger FrancesDanger said...

Color me jealous that you're meeting Wes Craven. This is balanced out by the fact that you must also meet Eli Roth, who I understand is a huge waste of flesh. Good luck!

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask Eli Roth if misogyny and/or fear of women are important parts of his recipe for success.

2:00 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Thanks, everyone for the lovely comments. More to come later, but for now I'm trying to move as little as possible because I am so, so tired.

Oh, p.s., turns out Eli Roth was a very decent guy. Who knew?

As I said, more soon.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home