Friday, September 01, 2006

The Wicker Man

Watched, last night, the original 70's version of The Wicker Man. I'd seen it years ago when I lived in Austin and, I'm fairly certain, was drunk when I saw it, so it was nice to revisit it with a clear head and a sober mind. Semi-sober, anyway. The Wicker Man, actually, is a movie that benefits from a good buzz; it's unfailingly weird, full of bizarre visuals, colorful pagan pageantry and a wonderfully naked Britt Eckland.

Booze only adds.

Anyway, if you haven't seen the original, don't go see the remake. You're just setting yourself up for failure; it's like me buying a 100$ pair of size 30 jeans. It's only going to end in wasted money and heartbreaking sadness. Now, keep in mind, I haven't "technically" seen the remake. I can just tell it's going to suck ass; my CrapDar, if you will.

There's just no way that they're going to recapture the blissed-out, hedonistic strangeness that hovers over the movie like smoke-machine fog at a Vegas magic show. And Nicholas Cage, though I do like the guy, is just way miscast as the morally righteous, devoutly Christian police detective. It'd be like casting Mickey Rourke as a... well, as any part that's not a broken-down alcoholic. And I'm sure they've cut all the creepy/pretty Scottish folk songs that practically turn the original into a musical. And I'll bet there's no sexy pagan dancing either.

You know what, fuck The Wicker Man remake. Go rent the original and buy a six pack of beer.

Savor the flavor of incredibly odd cinema.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dazza McTrazza said...

I couldn't agree more - unless they shoot the remake using the same wonderful 70s cinematography, the weirdness will be lost. It's probably going to be M Night Shaylaman meets Da Vinci Code - God, that's depressing.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

What sucks is that 70's photography look is impossible to achieve these days. The film stock that was used back then isn't made anymore, ergo, movies will never look like that again.

(that's one of about 5 things I learned in film school)

10:11 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Don't have to tell me twice. I'd rather see the original. Oh, and tell that guy I'm sorry for not liking the Revenge of the Nerds, it was before my time and I can't really appreciate it. Sue me.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Oh, and thanks for the link.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Tracy Kaufman said...

Nicholas Cage is going to RUIN this movie. Hell, EVERYONE is going to ruin it. I can't believe they had the nerve to remake it.

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home