Thursday, August 31, 2006

Movie Poster A Go-Go

A brief, incomplete, highly opinionated, and fairly profane look at some current movie posters for upcoming releases:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Begining



Personally, I think this poster kicks all kinds of ass, if only because you see so few photographs these days of men lovingly caressing chainsaws. It's almost sweet, then it's totally creepy. A slam dunk, in my opinion. Whether the movie will be any good is an entirely different matter. I wasn't a huge fan of the remake, but I also saw it at 11am with a massive hangover, so outside influences could have played a factor. Still, it's nice that people are keeping the TCM story alive; the original is one of my favorite movies of all time ever and, if nothing else, all these remakes and whatnot will hopefully inspire a whole new generation to check out the source.

The Prestige



Now, I have no doubt in my mind that this movie is going to be awesome; the fact that it's Batman vs. Wolverine as rival magicians in the early 1900's is enough to send me into a geek coma from which I may never fully recover. However, this poster is just ass. It tells nothing about the movie, it's badly photographed and it's a prime example of a marketing department relying on the 22 year-old intern who claims to have "mad photoshoppin' skillz." Way to drop the ball, guys. Batman and Wolverine are crying now.

Revenge of the Nerds



Oh fuck you, 20th Century Fox. Who... why... what... how is this a good idea? Must we remake everything that was mildly entertaining? Listen, if you guys fucking even think about touching The Breakfast Club, you're all going to be a part of a very large, very unpleasent hostage situation. Just sayin'. Oh, and your poster is lame.

Bug



The trailer for this made me go "Ew, ew, ewewewew!!!" It's about rednecks who get infestations of bugs under their skin and, what with my own recent encounters with the creepier crawlier side of nature, that just freaks me the hell out. This poster, though a bit too Saw-ish for my taste, pretty much hits the nail on the head, tone-wise. Glad a studio has finally found a way to make body terror marketable.

1 Comments:

Blogger Benticore said...

WTF? A Revenge of the Nerds Remake?? Im in full agreement with you that this is something that needs to NEVER HAPPEN. Theres no way they could do anything or say anything with this movie that wouldnt just destroy the memory. I know hollywood is hard up for original stories (or unwilling to try new things until some small, independent studio does, then copies it to death) but Damn!

Wolverine vs. Batman? Sign me up! But wait, what is the movie about? You're right, I got even less from that poster than you did. All I saw was two slightly annoyed white men looking in different directions. Shit, that poster could have been for a movie ranging from 'When men break up' to 'The Darkness of Being (a tale of woe)' who knows.

Being the big movie buff that you are, I KNOW you've seen Equilibrium, right? The movie that got Christian Bale Batman? The first movie that I didnt want to strangle Taye Diggs? One of the three movies I've seen Sean Bean in (the others being Golden Eye, Lord of the Rings, Ronin, Troy, Flightplan, and the Island)...oh wait, thats more than three isnt it...

Any movies that you know about and love that most people never heard of or would never see on their own?

Benticore
Out

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home