Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Scary Movies

Got word last night that I'm going to be covering the New York City Horror Film Festival (NYCHFF, as the cool kids call it) for Bloody-Disgusting.com this coming October. I realize it's a bit early to get too jazzed about it but, as I'm a particularly nerdy horror fan, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't suppressing a girlish squeal or two. Despite my living here for the last four years, I've never actually made it to the NYCHFF, for whatever reason (laziness), so if nothing else it'll be a fresh, new experiance that I can wow the folks back home with. They're getting really sick of hearing about the buildings "Taller n' the biggest barn" and the trains that "drive under the groun' like a burrowin' armadilly!"

That aside, it'll be great to see what's out there in the horror community these days. Take the pulse of the underground, as it were, which is always an interesting venture; it's not always technically good but it's usually damn entertaining, intentionally or not. In the glossy, shot-at-Sears family portrait of indie cinema, horror tends to always be the unwashed, heavily tattooed cousin who's visably drunk and attempting to grope Mee-Maw's boob. And that's always fun to see, isn't it. Much more fun, anyway, than the usual film fest fair, which tends to veer more towards "emotions" and "plot" as opposed to "eviscirations" and "plots of land filled with bodies."

But maybe that's just my cup of grim, brackish tea.

Anyway, so that's what's going on with me circa Monday morning. More later, m'sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home