Sunday, August 27, 2006

Little Miss Awesome


It's perhaps a bit early in the game to call Little Miss Sunshine one of the best movies of the year... but... eh, to hell with it. Little Miss Sunshine is one of the best movies of the year. I can't tell you the last time I saw a movie cut right to the heart of what it means to be a family, no matter what, and I doubt we'll see another for quite a while. Funny, a little sad, never cloying and mainting a grounded realism amongst the various shenanigens, it's a near-perfect in-theater experiance.

Go see it, kids. I'll cry if you don't, and nobody wants me to cause a scene.

Side Note: As we were walking out, it occured to me that this is probably the first "little" film that I've seen in theaters in a while. Due to the nature of the magazine I review for, I tend to only see horror films, or things peripheral to the horror genre. And if I'm paying for a movie, it's usually stuff like Pirates of the Carribean 2 or Snakes on a Plane; i.e. things that need to be seen on the big screen with an audiance for maximum enjoyment.

I don't know when this changed, exactly. When I lived in Austin, I would see everything on the big screen. Big, bombastic summer movies, little artsy-fartsy affairs... everything. Okay, realistically, I know it has more to do with the fact that it costs 10.50$ to see a movie in New York and that's prohibitive because I'm, more often than not, a little light in the wallet. As it were. Still, I think that's really sad. It was so much fun seeing a non-big-deal movie like this with Em in a darkened movie house. I miss that, I guess; miss feeling like a "true" movie buff.

What I'm trying to say is, I've got to find a way to sneak into more movie theaters in New York.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anthony said...

I really want to see that movie, just to see what it is even about. As for advice, I don't know how to sneak in to the movies, but it is very easy to pay for one movie and then sneak in to more. At least in Colorado it is.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home