Monday, June 26, 2006

How's Your November Look?

Could you write a whole novel in a month? Would you even want to? Could you do so without producing a work that's "Kinda like The Da Vinci Code but mixed with Harry Potter and it has lots and lots of hot models doing it?"

If so, you might be interested in this:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

Apparently, November is National Novel Writing Month. I wasn't aware that this was even a thing, but it seems that it's very much a real deal; if there's a website about it, it must be important. Or at least as important as Buffy the Vampire Slayer erotic fanfictions. Wait, I'm sorry, there's nothing as important as that.

Anyway, the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel (that's 175 pages to we non-big-numbers folks) in the span of one month; specifically, November. Personally, I think setting something such as this in the month of November is craziness... you know you're going to lose a few days with Christmas shopping and, of course, no one's going to be able to write on Thanksgiving or even the day after because, if you're like me, you'll be in a buttered-foodstuffs-induced coma. There's no avoiding that. So counting out those days, plus the two or three days that you're going to just not want to get out of bed, choosing instead to curl yourself around a king-size box of Cheeze-Its and a gallon of Dr. Pepper while watching the TV Land All-Day Maude-a-thon, you're looking at writing a novel in about 23 days.

Impossible?

Hell no! (or, probably!)

But I think I'm going to try. The rules state that you can spend the run-up time before Nov. 1st prepping your work; sketching character outlines, plotting out your story, stocking up on black market amphetamines, etc. It's reasonable to think that if you know exactly what you're going to write when you sit down on One, November, it really shouldn't be much of an effort.

Of course that's crap, entirely, but it's a nice thought. I procrastinate like I could be crowned champion of the world, and I'm actually allergic to planning (also Cottonwood trees). Besides the fact that I'm getting all excited about this in June; when late October roles around, I may be way too involved with my new passions of wok cooking and ham-radio operating.

But for now, while the idea's still a white-hot ember of inspiration in my guts, I'm totally jazzed. Let's write a novel, gang! Let's be all fancy with the books!!!

Thanks to Braden, that handsome swain, for giving me the heads up on this; way to set me up to fail!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home