Monday, April 02, 2007

How To Dine With Rich Folk

Seems that, this coming weekend, I'm going to be dining with some rich folk. They're relatives of Girlfriend and they've offered to take their poor, starving, grad-student niece out, as well as her drunken, shabby boyfriend who's trying to be a "writer" (isn't that cute!!!). Should be a fun time, or at least a time where I get free food and, really, isn't that all that matters?

Anyway, with that in mind, please allow me to share with you my tips on dining with rich folks. They will help you feel confident in any social occasion where you're among people who have more money in their wallets than you have love in your heart:

Tip - Remember, first and foremost, that they are better than you by virtue of the fact that they've never worked a real job, ever. You, on the other hand, worked in a movie theater and at a video store (or whatever crap job where you've held down a counter) and, therefore, are their lesser. This comes into play when you both reach for the salt shaker. Always deffer to the rich folk. Always.

Tip - Foie gras is goose liver and you won't like it. Your palate is not refined. Order the "frites." Those are french fries and god knows you like french fries.

Tip - Rich folk will not find your farts hilarious, unlike the vagrants that you usually spend your time with. Please, hold it in unless you're absolutely positive that it will be a sneaky, silent one.

Tip - Topics of discussion should include finance, your goals, the new line of Mercedes, and how good money feels between your fingers. Do not discuss "wrasslin," your Chevy conversion van, where to get some cheap beer or how awesome sex is.

Tip - Pinkies should not be held up when drinking; Rich Folk know they're being mocked when this is done in front of them and they do. Not. Like. It. Remember, they know how to have someone killed and make it look like an accident.

Tip - Don't worry about using the correct fork. They'll be impressed if you use any fork and don't just shovel food in with your hands.

Tip - They will more than likely want you to dance and shimmy for their post-meal enjoyment. Be sure to bring an extra set of "movement-appropriate" attire. Also, avoid pelvic thrusts.

Tip - No eye contact.

Tip - The dinner will be extremely boring because they most likely will take you somewhere fancy and dull that doesn't have a bunch of visually stimulating junk on the walls. If you're good at pretending, pretend that you're in a TGI Fridays. That will help the meal go by. If not, well, let's keep the drool to a minimum.

Tip - Telling the waiter that it's your birthday will more than likely not result in free cake. Besides, you should be getting free food anyway and it doesn't look good if you're greedy.

Tip - Your t-shirt with the tuxedo printed on the front is not.... actually, you know what... is it clean? If so, then it's probably the best you've got. Just tuck it in, please. Also, a piece of rope is not a belt. Use duct tape and color it black with a Sharpie.

16 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan T said...

I'd also suggest ordering the most expensive item on the menu. They love that!
Bonus points if you horribly butcher the French/Italian pronunciation.
What was for dessert? Did you split it with them or would that be a faux pas?

1:50 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

The dinner's this coming Saturday, but believe you me there's going to be a FULL report.

And I'm getting my own damn dessert, yo!

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you poor bastard, it's foie gras, not fois gras. And by the way, it's hip not to like it now because they make it by forcefeeding geese in a rather inhumane manner. Whether or not you share this depends on if your benefactors fall into the Enlightened Liberal Rich or the Oppressive Conservative Rich category.

-Wife

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, you can practice adding these expressions into your conversation...

"Oh, that's rich!" (as in a joke, not a cream sauce)

"Mmm, touché!" (that's 'too-shay', not 'tushy')

-Wife

2:24 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

In New York it's spelled "Fois Gras" because we have to be different than everyone else, always.

And my dining companions, I believe, are among the Oppressive Conservative Rich catagory, so we'll probably be feasting on Foie Gras, baby dolphin and "the poor."

2:25 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Ha! My manfolk has some rich family, too. I wish I'd had this list before dining with them. I think I did OK, though. I didn't even talk about Naked Man Magazine until asked. If they specifically ask you, I think then it's OK to mention wangs. Although you're right, they probably don't want your editorializing about how awesome sex is.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

I keep telling girlfriend that, if they're overly snooty and/or mean, I'm going to get wasted and throw up on their shoes. Or hit on their 16 year old daughter. Or start stealing the restaurant's silverware. I got a million of 'em!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

For some lively dinner conversation, might I suggest some stores that end that end with the phrases "...so I said, fuck it, I'm never going to be in Singapore again"; "You're sitting in it now"; "...and I was, like, no way are you gonna make me eat that!"; "And that's the LAST time I ever hit a monkey!"; "So I told them that medication wasn't for me! Who needs their stupid rules, anyway?"

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was curious about your writing endeavors. I know you write this blog and for a horror news site but I was wondering what else you are working on, completed, or had published.

I'd like to be a writer but I have absolutely nothing to say because I'm a white kid from a middle class family.

8:37 PM  
Blogger d said...

oh. please just shovel the food in with your hands. that, my friend, would be awesome. and then take pictures of their faces frozen in horror.

also, if you have one of those ties that looks like a fish. wear that. and nothing else. except a pair of tighty whities.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Hoosier Joe... Yeah, medication's for pussies! It's not like I've killed anyone or anything; I mean, that dude's fine now.

Chris... First off, if you want to be a writer, seriously, just write. It doesn't matter if you're white and from a middle class family or not; everyone's got something to say. They just need to find the words and the voice to say it with. As for me, I've written a couple of plays, one of them actually got produced here in NYC, and I've written a couple of short stories that are currently cluttering up my lap top. This blog is the first thing I've ever done (other than movie revies for various sites) that's gotten any sort of attention whatsoever.

D... I have no fish tie, but I think I can get ahold of a tie that looks like piano keys. That, plus Ray Bans, plus slightly-too-tight underwear equals the best dinner ever.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Don't forget your monocle!! Also, say old sport a lot.

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say you should make some of that stuff available. I'm interested in reading the plays. I always thought plays were great but I'm not sure how to write for the stage.

I do write. I have a couple of short stories up here
(You have to look at the bottom right for the list).

12:17 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

CrimsonKing... Monocles are SOOOO 1940's. It's all about Opera glasses these days.

Chris... I'll check those out; thanks for the link! As for some of my stuff, yeah, I'll probably put some of it up here one of these days. Nice to know there's some interest.

4:30 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

What's with the phrase "Eat The Rich" that I've heard so often?

9:46 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

It's because there's only one thing that they're good for.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home