Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Questions About Music

-Do I get credit for trying to like Sufjan Stevens? Because I'm trying very hard and I do, for real, feel like it's me missing something and not that he's just overrated.

-I listen to the new Scissor Sisters album at least three times a week. How gay does that make me?

-Is my generation allowed to like Fleetwood Mac unironically now?

-I listened to Ben Folds all through high school and into college, but now I'm kind of over him. Who's with me?

-Why am I the only one who seems to be able to understand Bob Dylan when he sings?

-What in the hell happened to Elvis Costello?

-The fact that so many people are still so "into" The Doors stems from a Candid Camera prank on Jim Morrison that somehow got out of hand and never ended, right?

-Have they proven yet that listening to Mates of State makes you more sexually attractive to the gender of your choice?

-Does anyone have any evidence they can send my way that proves Jack Johnson, Dave Mathews and John Mayer are all the same, lame guy wearing different wigs?

-Isn't gangsta rap gone yet? Why not? Because we're all very, very tired of it.

12 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Kaufman said...

1. I listen to the new Scissors Sisters album at least three times a DAY. How gay does that make ME?
2. My guess as to what happened to Elvis Costello is that one day the world became aware that all of his songs sound EXACTLY ALIKE.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Sloth... quite, quite gay. But it's a great album, so what can you do. "I Can't Decide" is the best song ever about homicidal murder. As for Mr. Costello... eh... My Aim Is True was a great album. I really liked him until he got into Bacarach/Lounge Singer mode.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I never actually listened to Ben Folds in high school, so now 10 years later I'm getting into him for the first time. *shrug* I'm discovering all the music I missed out on 10 years ago, within the last 2 years. Like Foo Fighters, Green Day, etc. What's up with that? My brother thinks it's hilarious that I'm borrowing all his CDs now.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a pretty huge Costello nerd so that makes me a bit partial. Still, I'm not a fan of the more collaborative stuff he's doing these days but I did enjoy 'When I was cruel'. I highly recommend it.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Giggleloop... Don't get me wrong, Ben Folds will always have a place in my CD collection. It's just that I used to be SUCH a huge fan and his stuff these days... while not bad... isn't really any different from the old stuff. I still put on his first album a lot, though.

mmyers... Yeah, When I Was Cruel wasn't bad at all; I just miss the angry young man of the earlier stuff.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also can't get into Sufjan Stevens. It just sounds a whole lot like other stuff out there and not amazingly better.

Also, whenever I find out that someone is an overt Christian and tends to put those themes and ideas into their music, I'm immediately turned off. I'm okay with them being Christian but some reason that affects my ability to enjoy their music.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Word, particularly about the Jesus stuff. It's just that he's SO popular here in NYC; I really feel unhip and out of the loop. And I hate that, even though it seems to perpetually be the case with me.

1:54 PM  
Blogger d said...

if you can listen to 'seven swans' and still think that sufjan sucks, well, then, there's probably nothing that's going to change your mind.

'illinois' is much more listener friendly as it's not all jesus all the time, but it's not as genius-y as 'seven swans.'

3:43 PM  
Blogger d said...

oh. and your generation won't be able to unironically like fleetwood mac for another ten years or so. hang in there, it'll be here before you know it.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

See, I've just been listening to Illinoise, and also, I've been only listening to it at work. I think that might be part of the problem.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you want seven swans, let me know, i'll send it to you.

but, be forewarned. it's really jesus-y.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Aw, you're sweet. It's cool though; I scammed a copy of it off of a co-worker. I gave it a listen this weekend actually and it's very good. Undeniably. Jesus-y, but good.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home