Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Weekly Awesome! #10

Heat Death Notes

It's so fucking hot here in New York right now that I'm finding it really difficult to focus on anything else other than how nice an ice-cold shower is going to feel when I get home. So, to that end, in lieu of me writing something pithy (besides, I already used up all my writing energy on the post below; go read it, won't you?) watch this video:

http://www.hedonistica.com/media.php?path=/videos/trampoline-to-nuts.wmv

I can honestly say I've never seen a guy jump off a roof and land on his balls quite as spectacularly as that young man does.

Songs of our Week: Nostalgic 90's Music Edition

NOTE: This is because of my birthday. Sorry.

1. "She Talks to Angels" by The Black Crowes (1990)

Before they devolved into petty in-fighting, drug-fueled guitar dickery and a general all-encompassing shittines of music, The Black Crowes were a pretty decent band. I wouldn't recommend buying all their records or anything, but in the early 90's, they definitely gave the road Three Dog Night traveled down in the 70's a healthy sprint. "She Talks to Angels" is by far the best thing they ever put out; listening to it is like the drive home in your parents car after you just, ten minutes ago, kissed the prettiest girl in sophomore English.

2. "Self-Esteem" by The Offspring (1994)

I've always felt a mild sense of disappointment that my indoctrination into the world of snotty, angry, anti-authority music came from The Offspring and not from bands like Nirvana or The Ramones or, hell, even Green Day. No, the first song I ever heard that wasn't Beatles bubblegum or boot-scootin' country was "Self-Esteem" and I was absolutely enthralled. Now, having cultivated a decent musical knowledge, I recognize that it's, no bones, a pretty shitty song, but back then, man, it spoke to my spoiled youth's soul. I'm just a sucker with no self-esteem! That's me!!! I grew out of it eventually and discovered better bands but, can't lie, this is where it started. I looked for good music where ever I could find it because The Offspring opened my eyes. I'm so fucking ashamed.

3. "How's It Gonna Be" by Third Eye Blind (1997)

This was one of the (many) songs that provided the backdrop for my moony, seventeen-year-old heartaches. Back when I loved a girl, like, totally and though that a mutual infatuation with Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the music of Barenaked Ladies was all it took to be sugar-high happy. Turns out, no. But this song remains a late-90's gem of post-adolescent, corporate-approved angst. As for Third Eye Blind these days, well, I'm pretty sure they'll clear your plate if you're done with that.

4. "Push" by Matchbox 20 (1996)

Of all the songs on the planet to have powerful memories connected to, I swear to Christ, I know that this song isn't much of anything but, every time it comes on the radio, I'm smiling to myself all dopey and singing along too loud. Let's just say that this happened to be the tune on the radio during a particularly memorable sexual encounter circa 1996 and leave it at that (if you want the full scoop, I'll happily mail you a transcript of the event typed from memory because, ten years later, I can still tell you details down to our respective underwear color, style and state of disrepair afterwards).

5. "One Headlight" by The Wallflowers (1996)

This song was as omnipresent in my high school days as acne and the inability to talk to girls without looking them straight in the boobs. It's one of those songs that nobody loved, nobody hated, but everyone knew by heart. Also, and this is very important, not a single person in my high school or yours knows what this song is about. If we did, if we were to actually listen to Jakob Dylan explain his motivations and the meanings behind his lyrics, the song its self would disappear in a puff of smoke and we'd all lose a little bit of our youth. Seriously guys, I think there's a warning label on the CD packaging now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home