Monday, June 12, 2006

Cars Are Boring

Real quick:

How bad is it that I don't give a crap about Pixar's new movie Cars?

I think I'm supposed to care because it's Pixar and we in the film community (however fringe we may be) are supposed to fall all over ourselves trying to praise them as slobberingly as possible and, yes, I know generally they're worthy of it but... eh. Cars? Really? If you're going to make a movie about something that's really boring and doesn't in any way lend it's self to interesting animation, why not just go balls-out and make a movie about math? Plus, Cars features the vocal stylings of Larry the Cable Guy, which I'm assuming means that the casting director lost a bet with L the CG's agent, and Owen Wilson, who I used to like until I realized that he has exactly one character and that's all we're every going to get from him. Those would be strikes 2 and 3, if you're keeping count.

I've read a few reviews of it now and all of them have been positive; hell, my own mother said it was good. Still, I'm pushing a boulder of indifference up a mountain that echos all around me with the sound of "Meh."

So... yeah. That's all. I also don't care about Nacho Libre but I'm fairly certain that that's a general concensus amongst everyone on the planet, so no need to go into that any further.

3 Comments:

Blogger Braden said...

Blah blah blah really good blah blah amazing animation blah blah personality they gave to the cars blah blah didn't even mind larry blah blah be surprised blah.

In brief: Saw it. Had a great time. Recommend it, but only if you've never seen a Pixar movie before, and even then I would recommend The Incredibles over this one. They keep making the same movie -- but the little kid in me (I eat little kids) can't resist.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does that mean you'd be into a Pixar "Boats" animated film?

5:01 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Boats??? Oh GOD yes. Now we're talking quality animation. If you have a tugboat that's got the personality of a crusty old sea captain... well, hell, that's a movie in the bag right there.

Also, the seaman/semen jokes practically write themselves. Also, "poopdeck."

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home