Friday, July 18, 2008

Friday Morning Hodgepodge

People reading Bibles in public, man, I want to take you all in my arms and give you a fat-guy bear hug that will make you way uncomfortable, yet strangely curious. You're just so... sincere! I know that sounds condescending (and possibly sarcastic), but I don't mean it that way. I actually think it's neat that you take your religion seriously enough to the point where you want to study it all the time, like when you're riding mass transit during your morning commute. Maybe it's because I tend to be fascinated with things that I don't understand; that are beyond my comprehension... the infinite mysterious of outer space, say, or America's love affair with those awful parody moves that feature characters from our current pop cultural landscape getting run over by a car and/or getting hit repeatedly in the nuts. My point is... it's the Bible. The BIBLE!!! And you read it every day, like all the time. For guidance? For... fun? Because I've read the Bible (mostly) and... eh... it's some pretty dry stuff. The hip, twenty-something youth ministers will try to tell you that it's real, real exciting... that there's murder and adventure and (shhh!!!) sex... but, c'mon. While that may be true, technically, it's a lot like saying a car dealership is a super-fun place because they've got a clown out front offering zero money down and no payments for thirteen months. Again, technically a clown... but as sad and drunk as the Bible is dry and full of long names begatting other long names and words like "transubstantiate" that make Dictionaries explode. So, yeah... seriously, you guys... good on you for keeping the faith like that. I couldn't do it (mainly because of the atheism thing, but for other reasons too), so it's nice to see other people out there trucking along, rockin' out the Good Word like they just don't care.

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you're not checking out the new Joss Whedon project, Dr. Horrible’s Sing-A-Long Blog, then you're missing out on some of the finest super-villain based musical comedy ever created. Plus Neal Patrick Harris. Seriously, go watch and absorb and love and thank me later. But do it now... after the 20th, it's dunzo until the DVD comes out. Oh, and you can download it from iTunes, I guess, but that involves a deeper understanding of technology than I currently possess. I think you have to do trig or something. I'm not sure. Also, what's a computer?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Just kinda throwing this out there as an experiment in interactive blogging: If anyone has pictures that they'd like for me to talk about on ZFS! in a humorous manner, please feel free to send them along to ClintonR dot Davis at gmail dot com. In the past, I've always been pretty adamant about coming up with my own content, but my job is currently kicking my ass up and down 7th avenue, thus I'm finding less and less time during my day to surf around the internet for ideas. Sooooo... send if ya got 'em. I'll try to be funny.

NOTE: No worries... things at ZFS! will carry on just fine even if NO pics come in. Again, this is just an experiment. Oh, and keep it clean. Unless it's naked pictures of your mom. Your mom is hot.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Girlfriend came back from her teaching seminar last night and it's like... FINALLY! Having the apartment to myself was great and all, but you can only host so many all-night disco dance parties and illegal craps games and Thai sweatshops making jeans for Abercrombie & Fitch before you're like WOW this is boring. Also, when a dude is on his own for an extended period of time, the whole joint starts to smell like farts. Not cool, and I'm sure our cat didn't appreciate it either. Speaking of, he was pretty cold company, gotta say. I mean I didn't expect him to start singing and dancing like Michigan J. Frog or anything (though it would have been nice), but the dude could have AT LEAST chilled with me on the bed during the long extra-innings of the All-Star game. Cats are jerks, dudes. For serious. But anyway... GIRLFRIEND!!! HOORAY!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Subway Gal said...

I find it a bit fascinating too when I see people reading the bible on the subway, but I also find it really obnoxious when those people read the bible OUT LOUD! Sometimes it's because the person is preaching and trying to save all of our rude NYC souls, or sometimes it's because the person doesn't know how to read QUIETLY and the result is listening to their crazy mumbles. Either way, keep the bible reading to yourselves because I don't make everyone listen to the latest Danielle Steel or John Grisham that I'm reading and I'd appreciate the same courtesy.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

@ subway gal- Yeah, there's totally a difference between those pleasantly (silently) reading god's word on their way to start an awful day at the office, and the PREACHERS. Those people are the ones I want to stab in the eye with my ipod. (If ipods were sharp.)

12:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I DEFINITELY encourage all ZFS!sters to go subscribe to Dr Horrible on iTunes. It's $3.99 for a "season pass", which basically means all 3 episodes. For such high quality entertainments, Joss can absolutely have my four dollars. :D

How frigging awesome is Neil Patrick Harris?! Seriously.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Subway... One time, I saw an old man get into a shoving match with a subway preacher. He was screaming "Shut up with that bullshit," but the dude just kept on preaching like he wasn't getting his ass handed to him by an elderly gentleman. I was drunk, so you can imagine that this was the funniest thing I'd ever seen. Also, I'd appreciate some Danielle Steel read to me on the train. Especially the dirty parts.

Nicole... "Those people are the ones I want to stab in the eye with my ipod. (If ipods were sharp.)" Funniest thing I've heard all day.

Becky... I know, right? Man-crushing so hard it's making my co-workers uncomfortable. Nathan Fillion as well.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Liöüx said...

John 3:16, Dude.

And yea.

Cat's are JERKS.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

Also, when a dude is on his own for an extended period of time, the whole joint starts to smell like farts.

So true brother, so true...

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home